LaTeX and \l and generated pdf and suppressing chars

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Jun 20 03:37:45 CEST 2024

Hi all,

when I do a simple latex file, no preamble, and just simple text:
	W\l{}odzimierz
the resulting PDF is ... strange. It produces the following entry
in the PDF:
	(W\040)278(lo)-28(dzimierz)
and text extraction using pdfminer gives me:
	W(cid:32)lodzimierz
mark the (cid:32) which comes from the space character \040 which
in OT1 encoding contains the small /

Looking into the included encoding in the PDF file I see:
```
/Encoding 256 array
0 1 255 {1 index exch /.notdef put} for
dup 32 /suppress put
```

Which seems to suggest that the space characters should be "suppress"ed
on some actions ...? And indeed, copy/paste from the PDF does give the
	Wlodzimierz
without the /.

So it seems to be standardized somehow, is this documented somewhere?

Just for completelyness, using T1 fontenc would elevate this problem, as
using xelatex - but this is not up to what I can decide/do.

Best regards

Norbert

--
arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live